Don’t throw away those beautiful green leaves that top fresh bundles of beets! I always buy my beets with beet greens on top. For me, they taste better than any other greens when cooked. The beet tops have a similar taste and texture of swiss chard.This simple recipe is a great option when you are in a hurry for dinner. Leftovers can be saved for next day lunch, especially if you are tired of salads or wanting something warm in cold winter months.
You can finely chop the stem of the greens also in the recipe. I sometimes save the stems for juicing. Don’t you love beets- Greens make one dish, stems can be added to Juices and the beets can be in another dish!
- One Whole chicken cut to pieces
- 1 bunch of Beet Greens
- 1 Onion chopped
- 1-2 bell peppers (use a mix of colors)
- 2 tsp Coconut Oil
- Salt and Pepper - As needed
- 1 handful of shredded dry or fresh coconut (save a little for garnishing)
- Heat oil in the pan. Add Onions. Saute until they get transparent. Add chicken, pepper and salt and cook for around 10 minutes. Add bell peppers and cook for 5 more minutes. Coconut can be added now or at the end. I prefer to cook my coconut a little bit. Add beet greens and saute for a couple of minutes.
- Serve with some coconut on the top.
- I buy my coconut from Indian stores from the freezer section. When you reach home, break the partially thawed coconut without opening the package and then store in the freezer. When you need them you can take small pieces at a time.