There are many food trends among millennials that keep them slender so if you have not tried avocado toast, smoothie bowls, power balls, or sweet potato toast you might be missing out on these wonderful foods. And whether you are a Traditionalist, Baby Boomer, Generation X or Centinneal, you will love this breakfast trend.
Avocado toasts are popular, delicious and healthy but if you are avoiding bread due to a low carb diet or gluten intolerance, sweet potato toasts topped with avocados will work out perfect for you.
The trick to getting the best tasting sweet potatoes is to spend some time taking care cutting sweet potatoes thinly (1/4″) lengthwise with a sharp knife.
There are many ways to cook them, but I prefer the stove top method given below:
- On a heated pan cook sweet potatoes on both sides 5 min each with olive or coconut oil
- Toast in the toaster on high heat five times. This is a great option if you have small quantities to cook, but the only caveat is they get stuck inside the toaster. (Reminder to myself : I still have to get that one piece stuck in my toaster)
- Bake in the oven at 450F for 10 minutes turning in between. This method is suitable for large quantities.
While these get cooked, use your imagination for toppings and prepare them. These are some ideas
- Guacamole or avocados like I have in the above picture
- Nut butter and bananas or other fruits on the top
- Scrambled or poached eggs
- Cream cheese or cottage cheese with fruits
- Smoked salmon and cucumber slices
What is your favorite topping for sweet potato toast? Do you find this breakfast enjoyable?